Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Weekly Menu Plan: February 2 – 8, 2015


Monday, February 2, 2015

Black Beans and Rice


It's time once again for "Meatless Monday". This week was a hard one for me. There are several meatless recipes I want to try, but I need to make sure it will be something both my husband and I will enjoy eating. Also, I need to make sure it fits into the weekly grocery budget. This week's recipe is a new one for us, Black Beans and Rice. It's a fairly simple dish. I used some Basmati rice my mother had gotten me on sale. As long as you follow the directions on the bag, this rice turns out perfect every time. While the rice is cooking (you could also use leftover rice if you have it), heat a skillet to cook your black beans. I used canned black beans this time, but I love to get the dried beans and cook and freeze them myself. Often this is cheaper. Aggressively season your black beans with onion, garlic, herbs, salt (not too much) and pepper (I also used some crushed red pepper flakes). Once the rice is done, add it to the beans and sprinkle with a little (or a lot) of lemon juice. Serve. It actually turned out to be a delicious and filling meal.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Taco Rice

It's "Taco Tuesday"! I love Tuesdays. I am a lover of Mexican food of all kinds, and having a "Taco Tuesday" allows me to cook these recipes on a regular basis. One of my absolute favorite recipes is for Taco Rice. You make regular taco meat (beef, chicken, turkey, etc. whatever you like). Layer in a casserole dish: rice, salsa or picante sauce, meat, cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. Serve with tortilla or corn chips. I absolutely love this recipe. Great way to use up leftover rice, especially if you have leftover steamed white rice from Chinese take-out.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Dinner at my parent's house

It's Wednesday, so we'll be dining at my parent's house before I have to go to rehearsal. Dinner at my parent's house is always a delicious adventure. We never know what my mother has in store for us, but it's always tasty and filling. Love you, Mom!

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Crock Pot Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans

For this week's crock pot recipe, I will simply be making chicken with potatoes and green beans. Not a whole lot to tell about this meal. It's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you give yourself enough time for the chicken to cook through. Can't serve raw chicken, that's a BIG no-no! I put everything into the crock pot insert sleeve the night before, cover and refrigerate. In the morning, while waiting for the coffee to brew, I put the sleeve in the crock pot and turn it on low. Doing it this way, I can usually get a good 6-7 hours in the crock pot, so low is fine. If you find yourself with only 4-5 hours, I'd put it on high and pray!

Friday, February 6, 2015

Hamburgers with Homemade Baked "Fries"

Friday is Fun-day! This is a night I try to do a family favorite, a fun meal, or a comfort meal. This week I'll be doing hamburgers and fries. I'll have all the fixin's and toppings required, and make homemade baked "fries".

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Pork Chops with Spätzle and Green Peas


A simple pan fried pork chop served with spätzle (a German dumpling) and green peas. Delicious, filling and a family favorite. Make a nice gravy to go with the chops and spätzle, plus I'll make homemade rolls. My husband is certainly spoiled, and he loves every bite!

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Leftovers!

It's once again time for leftovers. Sunday is the day we clear out any leftovers that need to be eaten. We either reheat as they are, or reimagine the leftovers into something completely new and tasty. Have fun with leftover night. If you need some inspiration for leftovers, check out this post.


 

I hope you find these ideas inspiring. If you need recipes, check out my Recipes page for some of my favorites.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment