Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

My Favorite Bath Soak

I am introducing a new series today. The "Taking Care of Me" series. This will be a series of posts dedicated to te things I do to take care of me, so I can take care of my family.

In this inaugural post of this series, I will be sharing with you my favorite pain-relieving bath soak. I have been using this soak for several months, and it always makes me feel better.
I use it most when I am overtired and/or have a lot of muscle aches. As a dance instructor and performer, there are plenty of times when I come home with a job muscles. Most especially in my legs and back. This soak helps to relieve those aches. It is also good for helping my body release some of the toxins that have built up, causing the muscle aches and general icky feelings. 
It really is a simple recipe. I can almost guarantee you have most, if not all, the ingredients in your house right now. Which makes it easy to put together. 
This simple soak can be modified to fit your lifestyle and needs.
 
Here's what I do:
 
1. I measure 1/2 cup of baking soda into a small mixing bowl. The one I use has measurements up the side, which makes measuring easy. I received it as part of a set for a wedding present from a neighbor and friend of my mom. I love it!

Baking soda helps relieve pain, deodorizes, and helps remove toxins.
 
2. I then measure in 1/2 cup of Epsom salt. 

Epsom salt is great for pain relief. I have been using it for years to soak aching muscles. An essential ingredient in any dancer's medicine cabinet.
 
3. Next I add in a couple of tablespoons of ground ginger. Ginger is wonderful for the reducing inflammation. It also helps relieve nausea, destroys all sorts of viruses, and helps relieve muscle pain. 

 
4. I mix all of these ingredients together with a fork until well combined.
 
5. Begin running a warm bath. Make the water as warm as you like, but please remember , hot water can and will cause burns. So please be careful with your water temperature.
 
6. Add the dry mixture to the running water. Make sure to add it slowly under the running water. Take your hand and mix any in dissolved ingredients. 

7. Measure out 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. 

ACV helps to eliminate the bacteria that causes acne. It helps neutralize the pH balance of the skin, and creates an inhospitable environment for germs and bacteria. This also helps get rid of foot odor. It can also help with varicose veins, legs cramps, achy feet, calluses, athlete's foot, psoriasis, hemorrhoids, cold sores, and many more. It also draws out toxins.
 
8. Right before you get in the tub, pour the apple cider vinegar into the water and mix with your hand/arm.
 
9. Get in and enjoy a nice 20-30 minute soak. I do suggest having a bottle of water on hand as this mixture will cause you to sweat.
 
10. After 20-30 minutes. Get out and dry off. You can rinse off in the shower if you like, but allowing the Epsom salt, baking soda and vinegar to stay on your body will continue to help relieve your aches and pains. Make sure you drink plenty of water after your bath. You'll need it.
 
11. Enjoy a nice sleep. After soaking in this concoction, I always find I sleep better. I do continue to sweat throughout the night, so I make sure I have water on hand when I wake up. 
I always wake up feeling refreshed and ready to start my day. This is my favorite pain relieving soak. 

What are some of your favorite bath-time soaks?

No comments:

Post a Comment