Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Coconut Oil Experiment: One month later

So... It's been about a month since I started using coconut oil on Baby Bumblebee and on my hair. I will admit, I haven't been the most diligent with my hair, but I have been very diligent with oiling Bumblebee.

After the first day, I was very pleased with the results, and I haven't been disappointed over the past 28 days. Bumblebee's skin has definitely benefitted from the use of coconut oil. Her skin isn't nearly as dry as it was. All of the rough, dry patches are gone, and her skin is as soft and smooth as the day she was born, which was 15 weeks ago tomorrow. I've also noticed she hasn't had as many break-outs of diaper rash either. Which is always a good thing.

Bumblebee loves getting "oiled up". She smiles and giggles as I rub the oil into her skin and hair. We make a game out of it, and just enjoy spending the fun time together. First thing I do is to get her on the changing table. If it's not after a bath, I strip her down, including her diaper. I don't bathe her everyday because her skin is so sensitive and delicate. (Our pediatrician recommended only bathing every other day, and without using baby wash. He is all for using coconut oil on her!) Once she's ready, I take a small amount in my hands. (I use the solid form of the oil, but they have liquid too. Just use whichever you can find, or is cheaper to purchase). I rub it in my hands to warm and liquefy it. I always start with her torso/chest first. I rub a small amount into her skin until it is absorbed. Next, I do her arms and legs. She loves to move her arms and kick her legs. This makes things interesting, but Bumblebee always has a fun time. Then, I flip her over and do her back. This is always a fun time, as she LOVES tummy time. She has gotten very strong, and can push-up on her arms. After I do her back, while I still have her on her tummy, I like to get the back of her head. Her hair is getting so long in the back! Last of all, I flip her back onto her back and do the top of her head. This is important as she has had a dry, flaky patch on top her head from rubbing it against the side of her bassinet.

Since using the coconut oil, the top of her head no longer has a dry, flaky patch. Her hair is shiny and soft. Her skin is soft and smooth. Plus, she smells sweet and like a baby should smell. Which makes Momma very happy!

As for my hair, I haven't been the most diligent. I try to make sure to oil it the day after I wash it. I can't wash my hair everyday as I have coarse, dry hair that is very curly. I have noticed an improvement in the ends of my hair. It no longer feels quite so straw-like, though it is still on the dry side. The middle of my hair is definitely shinier and healthier than it was before I started using the coconut oil. I try not to put any oil on the top of my head, as my scalp tends to be on the oily side. I have also noticed, my hair is not as frizzy as normal. Which is a good thing. As a dancer, I am always looking for ways to keep the fly-a-ways down. I like using the coconut oil for this, as there aren't any chemicals in the oil, so I feel I'm doing something good for my hair, while keeping the fly-a-ways down.

I am going to continue to use the coconut oil on both Bumblebee and my hair. Hopefully we will see even more improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment