Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dealing with Eczema

At Bumblebee's last doctor's appointment, about a month ago, we discovered she has eczema. I wasn't all that familiar with eczema before this diagnosis, so, being the type of person I am, I did some research. Atopic Dermatitis (a.k.a. eczema) is an itchy, red rash. The inflammation results from too many reactive inflammatory cells in the skin. The eczema rash can be so itchy and uncomfortable, it can cause sleeplessness, restlessness and pain. There is no cure for eczema.


Bumblebee's pediatrician recommended the product Aquafor to treat her eczema. However, we soon discovered, Bumblebee is allergic to lanolin, which is derived from wool. Therefore, she can't tolerate the Aquafor. So, we had to switch to something that did not contain lanolin. A friend of mine had recommended coconut oil, which was great during the summer, and works great in her hair, but wasn't cutting it in the dryer, colder air. So, we switched to Aveeno Baby Eczema lotion. This has proven to be a life-saver. It works beautifully. We use the Aveeno Baby Eczema oatmeal bath as well. We use the oatmeal bath only when she has a breakout. We use the lotion after every bath and in the mornings before we dress Bumblebee. At every diaper change, we use coconut oil to keep her skin from getting dry. This method seems to be working well. Since her diagnosis, Bumblebee has only had two outbreaks of the eczema rash. My goal is to keep ahead of this so she doesn't breakout.


While I know it is unrealistic to believe we will be able to stay ahead of the breakouts so she'll never have another one. And I know we will have to deal with the itchiness and tears that will accompany the eczema. But I'll be damned if I'm going to stand by and watch my daughter suffer. Therefore, I will whatever I have to do to help her. And, while I know it's now November, October is Eczema Awareness month (add that to the long list of other conditions/diseases we become aware of in October), and next October, I will be wearing my eczema awareness badge along with my breast cancer awareness ribbon. And I will plaster my Facebook page with Eczema Awareness graphics.


Please visit http://nationaleczema.org/ and donate to help research a cure for eczema. Take a moment to look around the website and see what the National Eczema Association is all about, and learn something about eczema. This site also contains a list of products safe for eczema suffers to use.


I hope this helps any one else out there who is suffering, or knows someone who suffers from eczema.

No comments:

Post a Comment