Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Weekly Menu – January 19 - 25

In sitting down to come up with my menu plan for this week, I actually had to get the grocery store circular to see what was on sale. For the past several weeks, I have been shopping out of my freezer and pantry, but this week, I realized I was quickly running out of stuff. Though I so still have some things in my freezer, I needed some meats to add variety to this week's menu. I always try to either get what's on sale or manager's special. Meat is expensive, and I definitely don't want to spend my entire budget on meat.

I was able to get boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound! That almost NEVER happens. So, I had to scoop up that deal. Luckily, there was one package left, and I grabbed it! They also had whole chickens for 99 cents a pound, so I got one of those. Our grocery store was also running a special on pork loin roasts, $1.99 a pound, so that went on the menu and the list. Now I was ready for the grocery store. I budgeted $100 for this trip as I also had to pick up some pantry staples and some things for my husband. Thanks to my checking the circular, planning my menu, and using my store member's card, I only spent $63 on what would have been a bill of over $75. That may not seem like a lot to some who are masters at budgeting and menu planning and saving, but that's a big deal for our family. That's $12 I can put towards our Disney World vacation! YAY!!!!

Here's this week's menu:

Monday, January 19

Loaded Baked Potatoes with Spinach Salad

I know this is "Meatless Monday", and I hold this meal as part of that. Here's my reasoning: even though we do put bacon on our loaded baked potatoes and salads, it is not the main component of the meal. Also, this meal would be just as delicious and satisfying without the bacon, but, hey, I love bacon!

Tuesday, January 20

Tacos!!!!

"Taco Tuesday" will consist of good old tacos, crunchy and soft. A mixture of ground beef and Italian sausage will give the meat mixture a nice twist of flavor. Plus we have the usual toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, etc. We will also have spinach. If you haven't tried spinach on your tacos, you should. So yummy!

Wednesday, January 21

Dinner at my parent's. Not really sure what we're having, but I know it'll be delicious!

Thursday, January 22

Pork Loin in the crock pot with rice and steamed broccoli with cheese sauce

This is one of my favorite meals. I'll use half of the pork loin I bought for this week and put it in the crock pot with some seasoning and a little chicken stock. I let it cook for about 8 hours. It'll be nice and moist and tender. I'm thinking I will make some Basmati rice (which my mother got on sale and gave to me). I'll steam the broccoli til it's "crisp-tender", cooked through but still have some bite to it. Then I'll make my cheese sauce to serve on top of the steamed broccoli. As I sit here writing this, my mouth is watering just thinking about this delicious meal. I can't wait until Thursday!

Friday, January 23

Pizza

I've been wanting homemade pizza for a while now, but I haven't had the chance to make. This Friday is the night that will happen. Homemade pizza!

Saturday, January 24

Chicken, Quinoa and green beans

For this meal, since I have Saturdays off, I will roast a whole chicken. I don't do this often, as I usually don't have the time, but I will this week because I have Saturday off with absolutely no commitments! With my delicious roast chicken, I will serve quinoa and green beans cooked in bacon fat. The great thing about roasting a chicken whole is we can eat of it that night, then I'll pick the rest of the meat off to use next week in a chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, chicken tacos, or some other recipe. Once all the meat has been picked off, I can put the carcass in the freezer and save it until I have at least one more, then I can make homemade chicken stock. That way I use everything, nothing goes to waste.

Sunday, January 25

Leftover night

This is the night set aside each week to clean out the fridge of leftovers so they don't go to waste. Both the pork loin and chicken this week would make good sandwiches. If we have any tacos left over, nachos are always an option.


 

I hope this week's menu is some inspiration for you. I will try to post my recipe for the pork loin and roast chicken later this week. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment