Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

My Closet Makeover: Day One

Not long ago, I was looking in my closet, desperately trying to find something to wear that fit. After having a baby, most of my pre-pregnancy clothes don't fit right now, so I've been wearing my maternity clothes. But, to be honest, I'm tired of wearing maternity clothes. I want to wear regular clothes.

Okay, in all honesty, I want to be back in my pre-pregnancy clothes. I still have a bit to go, but I'll get there. It took me 9 months to put that weight on, I can't expect it to come off overnight. Though, that would be nice.

Anyway… back to topic.
 
Before the makeover. What a mess!

 

I was digging through the mounds of clothes in my closet. Okay, spilling out of my closet.

More clothes!

I realized, as I was surrounded by piles of clothes, that I needed to clean out my closet. So, I took a day, and pulled out every stitch of clothing from the closet. I started by quickly going through my clothes. If I hadn't worn it in the last three years, I either put it in the donation box, or threw it away. I chose to go back three years for the simple fact that I was pregnant fall 2013-June 2014, and then been trying to lose my pregnancy weight.

Once I'd finished my initial sort, I took a more discriminating look at the clothes piled on my bed. If I absolutely loved the piece, it went into the keep pile. If I liked it, but wasn't sure, it went into the maybe pile. If I didn't love or like it, it went into the donation pile. If it was torn or raggedy, I had to decide if it was worth fixing. If it was, it went into the "fix it" pile. If not, right into the garbage.

After! So much more organized! Even my shoes are easier to find!

Once I'd completed this go through, I separated my clothes into spring/summer and fall/winter wardrobes. My spring/summer clothes then got put away in the closet. My fall/winter wardrobe got set aside for storage.

Now that my spring/summer wardrobe is in my closet, it's so much easier to find an outfit to wear. I'm actually getting up and getting dressed for the day, rather than just throwing on a T-shirt and a pair of sweats. This closet makeover is definitely helping me feel better, and less cluttered.

Now all I have to do is get my fall/winter stuff stored away in vacuum bags. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment