Pages

Monday, August 1, 2016

A Week in the Life of a Community College Dance Instructor: Week 1


Trying To Get Things Scheduled

 

 

So, I’ve decided to begin a new series for my blog, A Week in the Life of a Community College Dance Instructor (working title). Basically, I will be writing about my week.

I know I haven’t posted anything in a long while. Okay, a really long while. I fell into a funk with writing, got into posting content on YouTube, and just plan had no inspiration or motivation to write. However, something occurred over the last week, which I’ll tell you about in just a bit *wink* *wink*, that got me to thinking, I wonder if anyone else has ever dealt with this kinda thing before?. Or maybe someone would just be interested in what goes on during a week in the life of a community college dance instructor.

Anyway… I was listening to a podcast by Kirsten Thompson. She was talking about having writers block and how to overcome it. One suggestion was to write about what you’re passionate about. Well… I’m passionate about dance and teaching, thus, this series was born. I hope you enjoy it, and please remember to leave me a comment down below and let me know if you do 😉

 


Ok, so… on Monday, my director texted me and told me to call the principal at a local elementary school so we could schedule the dance classes for the coming academic year. It was about mid-afternoon, and I had a lot of errands to run, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to call him Monday, so I made plans to call first thing Tuesday morning. Which I did. Bright and early at 8:06 am. I got, “He’s in a meeting right now. If you give me your name and number I’ll have him call you back.” So, I left my name and number, thinking I’d be getting a call back that day.

Nope! Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch!

I decided to wait and see if he called me on Wednesday, seeing as it’s the beginning of the new school year, and he has a lot going on right now. Nothing on Wednesday either.

Thursday morning, I called back. I got the same run around about him being in meetings all day and having interviews and whatnot. I’m 100% certain all that is true. However, this is important, too, and needs his attention. I informed the secretary it wouldn’t take long, and if he could spare 10-15 minutes, we could be done. She said she’d tell him. My director even texted later that day to ask if I had called yet. I told her all that had occurred. She said she’d try calling too.

Well… it’s now Sunday afternoon, and he still hasn’t called me back. I guess I will be back on the phone tomorrow morning trying to get these classes scheduled.

On a batter note, I have been hard at work getting my combinations for my classes together. I have an idea for how I want to organize my teacher notebook to house everything I need for all my classes. I will be doing a video on that soon. I have also been working on choreography for the company, as well as combinations for classes that can be used in choreography when the time comes.

Y’all, I am truly excited about this new academic year. We have an awesome season of performances planned, and I can’t wait to get started, though I could use another month of summer vacation 😉

Have a beautiful day!

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment