Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

Week in the Life of a Community College Dance Teacher: Week 2


Getting Things Together

 

 
A week in the life of a community college dance instructor: Getting Things Together
Me (Leslie Johnson) January 1997

·      Monday, August 1, 2016

Didn’t really do a whole lot today on the getting ready for school to start front. I did brainstorm some ideas for my teacher planner, and looked at some YouTube videos about creating a teacher planner. The problem is that most of those videos are for elementary teachers or homeschooling moms. While I’m not devaluing these by any estimation, they are not what I need. And I feel like the teacher planning community and business is geared towards female elementary teachers. I feel like what you can buy at office and school supply stores is very plain and nondescript. While this may suit some teachers, it does not suit me.

Therefore, I have been brainstorming different ways I can have an organized teacher planner that is decorative, suits my personality, and is still appropriate for the classes I teach. I will definitely share my teacher planner once I have it all worked out 😃

 

·      Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Worked some more on my teacher planner. I am using things I already have, so this will be a very patchwork planner, at least for the fall semester.

This afternoon, I worked on some bare combinations for my ballet class. I am really excited about this upcoming semester. I have a whole new approach to ballet class I want to try. I am hoping this new approach will help prepare our dancers for moving on to a four year institution better.

I also worked on some modern and jazz combinations as well.

 

·      Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Spent the day dealing with a car that wouldn’t start and doing laundry. Didn’t get anything done home the back to school front.

 

·      Thursday, August 4, 2016

Had to have my car towed to my mechanic to get it fixed. Therefore, I was kinda stuck at home most of the day.

I tried to use my time wisely and get some work done. I picked up some plain manila dividers at the grocery store yesterday that I want to use for dividing my different curriculums in my planner. I got them out several times, but just wasn’t feeling inspired to create anything. I guess I’m really just waiting to see what classes I’ll be teaching before committing.

On a side note – All that was wrong with my car was a loose battery cable. My awesome mechanics at Terry Road Tire and Alignment fixed the problem at no charge to me! They were amazing! #notsponsered

 

·      Friday, August 5, 2016

Did laundry this morning and was home by lunch.

After lunch, I played with my daughter, and then got ready for my sister to come over for dinner. She came about 3:00 and we got to hang out and catch up. My daughter loves when she comes over for a visit. We had hamburgers and homemade potato logs for dinner. After dinner, we totally tuned in for the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I have to say, I was kind of disappointed in the Opening Ceremony. Just wasn’t what I was expecting.

 

·      Saturday, August 6, 2016

We had swim lessons this morning. Bumblebee, my daughter (or at least what I call her online), loves her swim lessons. She’s been taking swim lessons since she was about 10 months old (she’s now 2 years old!). She is doing so well. This will be the last session we have to get in the pool with her. Starting on Aug. 27, she will be in the pool with just the instructor. I think she’s way more ready than I am!

Worked on my YouTube channel this afternoon. Got my Plan With Me video filmed and edited. Working on exporting, uploading and scheduling now.

 

·      Sunday, August 7, 2016

Woke up at 6:00 am and realized I hadn’t uploaded my video to YouTube! I hurriedly uploaded it to see if I could make my scheduled 8am video, but, alas, YouTube decided to be slow. It was 9am before it was published. Oh, well…

While it was uploading, I managed to get in a quick workout, plank challenge, #adorethecore challenge and some stretching. Did I mention YouTube was being slow? Haha… at least I got in my workout. Also made an awesome breakfast of homemade biscuits and sausage patties.

Been enjoying the day with my family, and the night off from rehearsal. About to get dinner started and then gonna at and watch some Olympic diving, gymnastics and swimming.

 

Hope y’all enjoyed this installment of A Week in the Life of a Community Dance Instructor. Please let me know you thoughts on this series or if you have any questions or requests.

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment