1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 14 oz can beef broth ( you could totally use veggie broth, chicken broth or water)
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can hominy or corn
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, heat bacon grease over medium-low heat. Add chili flakes, onion powder and garlic powder. Toast spices for about 2 minutes.
2. Add broth and tomato sauce. Increase heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil. Let broth cook for 5 minutes.
3. While broth is cooking, drain and rinse beans and hominy/corn. After 5 minute cook, add beans and hominy to broth. Add Italian seasoning.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency.
2 cups water or chicken stock
1 cup polenta
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a 2-quart heavy bottomed saucepan, bring 2 cups water or chicken stock to a boil.
2. Slowly add in polenta, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes (or until desired thickness).
3. Turn heat off and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
To serve: Spoon polenta into the bottom of a soup bowl. Cover with meatless chili. Add your favorite chili toppings (cheese, sour cream, green onions, salsa, etc.). Enjoy!
Leftovers are awesome too!