Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

Taco Rice

Today I am sharing one of my favorite recipes, Taco Rice. The basic recipe was given to me years ago by a coworker, but I've changed it and added to it over the years.

Taco Rice Recipe


I made Taco Rice the other day, and my husband loved it! He had two helpings that day. He took the rest with him to work for dinner.

This is a very easy recipe. It can be changed and added to however fits your family. It's also a great way to use up leftover rice.

I didn't have any leftover rice, so I had to make some. I used regular long-grained white rice, and cooked it according to the directions on the package.
taco rice recipe
 

While the rice was cooking, I got the rest of the ingredients ready.

I cooked my ground beef and added a package of taco seasoning. I used reduced sodium, but use what ya got. You could also substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef if you prefer.
taco rice recipe

taco rice recipe

 
taco rice recipe
 
 
My rice and beef got done about the same time, so I went ahead and put them in the casserole dish. I use my go-to 2-quart casserole dish.
 

taco rice recipe

taco rice recipe
 
 
Next, open and drain a can of hominy. I used golden hominy, but white would work just as well. You could also use a can of black beans. Saute the hominy (or beans) in about a tablespoon of butter. Add chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
taco rice recipe

taco rice recipe

taco rice recipe

taco rice recipe
 


Add the hominy to the casserole dish.
taco rice recipe

taco rice recipe
 
Top off the whole thing with shredded cheese. I used cheddar since that's what I had on hand. Pepper jack would be good as well.
taco rice recipe
 
Bake in a 350° oven for 15-20 minutes. You want to melt the cheese and heat everything through.
taco rice recipe
 
Allow the casserole to sit for about 5 minutes. Then serve up and enjoy. You can serve it with corn tortilla chips for added crunch. You can also add different toppings: salsa, taco sauce, chopped onion, chopped tomato, sour cream, etc. The choices are only limited by your imagination.
 
 
Taco Rice Recipe
 



1 recipe cooked rice (you need at least 2 cups if you're using leftover rice)
1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 Tbls butter
1 can golden hominy
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (ok, lets be honest, I probably used closer to 2 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Make 1 recipe's worth of rice according to package directions.
3. While rice is cooking, brown 1 lb ground beef in large skillet and add taco seasoning according to the directions on the package.
4. Put rice in the bottom of a 2-quartvbaking dish. Top with seasoned ground beef.
5. In the same skillet you cooked the beef in (you want the seasoning), melt 1 Tbls butter. Meanwhile, drain 1 can golden hominy. Add drained hominy to skillet and saute for about 5 minutes.
6. Add chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste to the hominy. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring to coat hominy in seasonings.
7. Add hominy to casserole dish.
8. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
9. Bake at 350° F for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
10. Allow to sit on top of stove for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings.

Let me know what y'all think by leaving a comment.

Wishing you love, happiness and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment