Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Pumpkin Toaster Pastry

Hubby loves pumpkin pie. I mean, he absolutely LOVES pumpkin pie. That, paired with the fact I bought a ton of canned pumpkin back in February when the Kroger near my parents' house was closing (mainly because Bumblebee was still eating pureés and loves pumpkin), I decided to think of a way to give Hubby a portable pumpkin pie. Thus, Pumpkin Toaster Pastries were born.

 
Pumpkin Toaster Pastry


Now, I will admit, the pastry recipe is not mine. I used the pastry recipe from Little House Living. It's a wonderful pastry recipe reminiscent of puffed pastry. Totally delicious! However, the filling is all mine.

Pumpkin Toaster Pastry


Pumpkin Toaster Pastry

For the pastry, use the pastry recipe from Little House Living. I did make a few small changes to this recipe:
  1. I used cold butter instead of softened butter.
  2. I cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembled coarse crumbs.
  3. I added about a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
I followed the directions to a "T" though. I did every fold and roll, just as directed. I did manage to get 12 toaster pastries out of this recipe.

For thru filling:
  • 1 15oz can pumpkin (make sure it's 100% pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup flour
  1. Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. It should be a fairly thick concoction.
Put it all together.
  1. After rolling and cutting your pastry dough, put filling on one side of the rectangle. I probably used about 2 tablespoons of filling per pastry.
  2. Fold the other side of the dough over and crimp the edges with a fork.
  3. Transfer pastries to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
  4. Brush pasties with melted butter. (I used about 2 tablespoons of melted butter.)
  5. Sprinkle tops of pastries with cinnamon sugar. (I used a ratio of 1/4 cup sugar to 1 tablespoon cinnamon.)
  6. Bake in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes.
  7. Let stand on stove top on cookie sheet for about 15 minutes.
  8. Transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling process.
  9. Package in a zip top bag and freeze.
To heat:
  • Toast in toaster oven for about 10 minutes (or normal toasting time for your toaster)
  • You can drizzle a simple glaze of powder sugar and milk over the pastry if you wish.
I hope you enjoy these wonderful toaster pastries. They are great to have on hand for a quick breakfast or snack. Enjoy!

Enjoy life with faith, love, and joy.

Let me know how yours turn out. Leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment